Monday 4 July 2011

Valencia race weekend

My computer died after Valencia...drowned on sangria!.. or maybe something to do with the fact it has to process upto 1000 pictures I take at each race,,,,.very late European GP Blog...
The weekend was memorable in so many ways..perhaps not the race..bit of a procession, but one cant blame red bull for that..they just power on.  The attention they receive is amazing..where ever Vettel is ..whatever he's doing there are a mass of camera's and reporters.
I've been taking pictures of the drivers feet..footwear, fascinating!...My camera was the only one trained on their feet in the Paddock....took a great pic of Schumacher's feet astride a crack in the paddock...now that says something......I'll post that pic.
The build up to the quali is a great time, . I walked down to the circuit from the hotel, it's great to join the crowds gathering..one gets a true sense of the event..and Ferrari flags...and Alonso t-shirts!....Barcelona revisited! Also wanted to walk off some dodgy local white wine from night before!...
I collected my photographers Tabard from FOM office, and walked the path around the circuit...it's an odd thing ..even though I have the correct photographer passes etc...some security see the size of my lens and don't take me seriously!...they see these huge long lens, that weigh half a ton ....I couldn't say in Spanish.. ...'It's not the length that's important'!
Got some great pictures of the cars with big boats in background...as I walked around the inner fence which is quite high 7 ft or so..the tiny marbles from the tyres manage to make there way to the path...they are tossed over the fence..amazing ...looks like flattened insects..
Had to rush back to see Natalia, assistant to the CEO.She was lining up all the relevant people to write in my book during the race on Sunday.  Her little office is just under the Podium next to the Pits..there was a GP2 race going on...not a great place for Management office....couldn't hear a thing she was saying!...I'm learning a form of GP sign language this year!
The heat and sun was so intense...beautiful dark blue sky.  I was able to find a local shopping mall for some typical Valencian fabric to place in my work..although the store assistant believed it was for me to wear...this very feminine floral fabric!..difficult to explain it was for an art project...
beautiful material..very happy about that.
Had dinner in lovely old town of Valencia..caught Mr E coming out of our hotel. I do keep seeing Vettel in hotel lifts I happened again..he must think I'm the phantom lift stalker!...
Sunday follows a regular patten for me, the grid was so busy... When the teams push the cars into place that a great time to look into the helmet of the drivers minutes before the off.  Mr E was with Placido Domingo and the Lady Mayor of Valencia showing them around the grid..the mayor was to write a nice piece up in the VIP suite. These people are so happy to write their thoughts and feelings about F1.
, ..another dash the the airport ...great everybody on the F1 JET arrived early...so the plane left early!...how refreshing ...
Next race ..British..can't wait...wont need my passport this time...

No comments:

Post a Comment